Happy Friday! When the weather gets cold, we want OUT of NYC. I am headed for a weekend getaway in less than 12 hours and plan on packing extremely light. Lugging an over-packed bag is not fun – Plus, they charge for everything these days and I rather save my money to shop! Some questions to ask yourself:
- What’s the weather going to be like?
- Can I wear a piece more than once?
- Will I need shampoo/toothpaste/blow-dryer or will the place I’m staying provide this at no charge? (<— big space saver!)
Once you have these 3 questions answered it’s time to start packing.
- Make a list. This seems so simple but it’s extremely important in helping you stay on task. I write down the number of days I will be there, then pick a day & night outfit for each day.
- Take pictures of your outfits. This helps me remember what I originally planned on wearing instead of looking at my clothes and thinking nothing goes together all of a sudden.
- Be reasonable. Override that voice in your head trying to convince you that you absolutely need six pairs of heels for a three-day trip. You don’t…and the practical you knows that.
- Don’t skimp too much. If you know that you’re going to a wedding with formal dinners planned every night, then yes pack a few extra dresses. The trade-off? Include a neutral-toned pair of ankle-strap sandals that go with each outfit, so you don’t have to overload on the shoe front.
- Roll your clothes. First of all, it minimizes wrinkles and therefore you don’t have to worry about the quality of your hotel iron. Second of all, it frees up a lot of space for other traveling necessities.
- Don’t forget accessories. Pack a great belt, a pair of statement earrings, and a classic pair of flat sandals. When in doubt, these things will come in handy.
- Adopt Kate Middleton’s recycled-outfit policy. Unless you’ve been out hiking all day, or rolling around in the sand, there’s a very good chance you can wear certain wardrobe pieces more than once in a single trip. If you first wore your sundress with a jean jacket and wedges, use it as a beach cover-up for the next 2 days.
- Use bright, colorful tags to easily pick out your suitcase at the Airport. This tip will get you quicker to the warm beach and a cold drink.