Baby A is 21 weeks today and is about the length of a carrot or the size of a pomegranate, depending on where you read.
Here’s what Baby A has been up to this week:
- Baby A now weighs about three-quarters of a pound (well, I’m guessing she weighs more than that because at my 17 week appointment she was supposed to be 4 oz and was measuring 8 oz) and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long. We will find out for sure tomorrow!
- Movements may turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges and you may also discover a pattern to her activity as you get to know her better. I do notice she likes when I eat something sweet! I also wake up in the middle of the night and feel her moving and shaking.
- Her eyebrows and lids are present now.
And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:
Weight gained: Not sure. At my 18 week appointment I think I had gained 8 or 9 — Eating every 45 minutes was the only thing that kept me standing in the first trimester. I really never started feeling well until I was in my 18th week so my body craved carbs constantly to not get sick. I will find out tomorrow what number we are at now.
Workouts: I only got a 3 mile walk in one day and did a 10 minute arm workout another. Now that I am generally feeling a lot better and like a human again I might up these workouts. I used my belly buds during my walk but they were SO itchy. I’m not sure if it was because I was walking and moving around? Maybe they are better used relaxing inside the house.
- Round ligament pains and low back pain. The back pain is worse than the round ligament pains. I might need to get a prenatal massage soon. *coughadamcough*
- Migraines! I get these 1-2 times a week and they are HORRIBLE. Anyone have any fixes? Right now my routine is to get a cooling pad for my head, lay in a cool dark room, drink a bit of coke for caffeine ( i hate coffee), drink a ton of water and sleep. It still usually takes them about 12 hours to go away for good.
- Frequent bathroom breaks in the middle of the night.
Movement: I feel kicks here and there during the day/night – Sometimes they make me jump! Adam is patiently waiting to experience this on the outside.
Food Aversions: Not too much at this point. I still don’t want fish for dinner, which I think might be annoying Adam because he asks for salmon weekly.
Food Cravings: All things CHEESE. Grilled cheese, Mac & Cheese, Cream Cheese, String cheese. I also had a really strong craving for Strawberry Lemonade Sparkling water last week but really had no idea where I would get such a thing. Since week 21 marks when the baby starts tasting the food you eat I am going to make an effort to not give into all the bad cravings…just some!
Sleep: Not too bad. I still wake up to go to the bathroom (this is obviously not going to stop) and have trouble falling back asleep. I’m also a stomach sleeper so sleeping on my side is a tad bit annoying.
Stretch marks? Nope! I have been using an oil every night and it seems to be doing the trick so far.
Miss Anything? Having energy! I am definitely always reallllly tired. I also got a little sad when I unpacked my winter clothes and realized I basically couldn’t wear anything.
Fun and/or Interesting Things from the Week: Tomorrow we will do our anatomy scan which will be fun. As for interesting… My dreams! They are seriously crazy and I remember every small detail. Last night I had a dream that Adam spent $3000 at a dive bar buying everyone Red Bull Vodka slushies… I don’t know where I get these ideas. I also had one that every time someone moved our couch alligators would come from behind and our living room would turn into a swamp. The alligators were attacking my brother Keith and I until someone moved the couch back to its original place. I’ve had MULTIPLE dreams that my dad was still alive which is kind of freaky. I’m supposed to get a flu shot tomorrow and I NEVER get these (I don’t feel that putting this in your body is necessary for healthy people) but my doctor is highly recommending I do so since I’m pregnant. I can request one that is preservative free (no mercury) but I’m still a little nervous. Anyone not get one while pregnant?
Baby Items Purchased: Yes! We have our crib, glider, side table for the glider, a Moroccan pouf, too many clothes and shoes (can’t say no!!) and a few stuffed animals and stroller blankets as well.
Belly Button In/Out: In — Doesn’t look like it’s popping out anytime soon but we will see.
Looking Forward To: Setting up the nursery – We are kind of in a weird predicament since we rent and will be leaving pretty shortly after we have the baby. I think if I didn’t design the nursery here though I would feel extremely unorganized.