I received these “crack”ers a few years ago through a blogger Holiday Sweet Swap and could not get over how amazingly addictive something was for how simple it was to make. I’m pretty sure I ate the entire tin to myself that day and I’ve thought about making them ever since. Since we were slowly moving back into our apartment last December I skipped my usual baking spree. But this year, it.was.on. These would be perfect for a holiday party, they only take 10 minutes!
“Crack”ers (Cookie Style)
- 1 box Club Crackers ( I only used about a sleeve and a half)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 12 oz package MINI chocolate chips (<— must use mini)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line an 11 x 15 cookie pan that has a lip with foil.
- Cover foil with one layer of crackers, breaking to fit bottom as necessary.
- Heat sugar and butter together in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
- Then pour and spread mixture over crackers while hot. It will seep in and around the crackers and that is okay.
- Bake for 5 minutes in 400 degree oven.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle mini chocolate chips all over. As chips melt, spread evenly with a spatula.
- Place in refrigerator to cool.
- When very cold break apart in large pieces peeling away the foil. Then break into smaller serving size pieces and store in covered container in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Note: the unevenness of the pieces makes these cookies attractive. Do not expect to break them into the shape of the crackers. Also, you must use MINI chips. Regular sized chips do not melt appropriately.